A Hands-on, Step-by-Step Sustainable-Living Guide (Creative Homeowner) Includes Fences, Coops, Sheds, Wind & Solar Power, Rooftop & Vertical Gardening Paperback – August 6, 2013
40 PROJECTS FOR BUILDING YOUR BACKYARD HOMESTEAD is your Hands-On, Step-by-Step Guide to Sustainable Living. As we start to slow down outside with the change in weather, I start to immediately think about the spring. Planning my garden, landscape projects, and ways to get dirty outback as soon as the weather starts warming. I’m looking at a few big ones this year. Two new outdoor living spaces and an effort to make my garden space more aesthetically appealing. One a solar powered “shed”, more of a reading/office room in a back corner of the yard made of recycled, rescued materials. The other a deck, barroom, outhouse all made of recycled pallets near a new firepit- an effort to allow more outside-socially distanced entertaining.
Anyhow 40 Projects will help you build the backyard homestead you’ve been dreaming of. You can create a more sustainable life for you and the family. You’ll learn how to maximize the space you have and become more self-sufficient, no matter the size of your yard.
From the publisher
Learn all about how to build sheds, feeders, fences, and other backyard structures to enhance your sustainable living!
- Garden structures: Raised beds, planters and arbors, self-watering beds, grow-light stand, soil blocks
- Fences and pens: Fence post basics, picket fence, solar electric fence, installing and stretching fences, hen pen and hurdle, gates, PVC hen pen
- Housing chickens: Basics for housing chickens, building a coop and run, complete material and cutting lists, exploded views, building an A-frame chicken tractor
- Building sheds: Basics for building, goat shed, saltbox garden shed, backyard-homestead shop, roofing alternatives
- Solar and wind power: Compressor and gearbox windmills, how solar works, erecting a windmill, installing a solar power system
- Aquaponics and hydroponics: Understanding aquaponics, understanding hydroponics, basics of a DIY aquaponic system, how to install a hydroponic system
- Building beehives: Langstroth beehive, Warré beehive, top-bar beehive (aka the Kenyan or Tanzanian beehive), step-by-step building instructions and exploded views
- Plumbing and wiring: Plumbing basics, ground-fault circuit interrupters, freeze-proof watering options, outdoor wiring, supplemental lighting
A companion volume to Backyard Homesteading, 40 Projects for Building Your Backyard Homestead provides details on how to build more than 40 projects to enhance your sustainable living.
The projects in this book are designed with simplicity, convenience, and budget in mind. You will also find help on how to expand or contract the projects to suit your needs.
With step-by-step instructions, tools and materials lists, exploded views, and easy-to-understand techniques, even if you are only moderately handy, you’ll discover how to build your own feeders, fences, and structures. In the process, you’ll save money and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself!
If you’re anything like me you’re constantly looking to improve your skill set and knowledge base. Especially when it comes to self sufficiency, energy and food production. At some point I’d love to move my office to a completely off grid “Hobbit hole”. The THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF COUNTRY LIVING is a great addition to your library. It is one of the definitive manuals of basic skills and country wisdom for living off the land, being prepared, and doing it yourself. Whether it’s a farm or homestead, suburb, or city.