Why A Med Kit
As we look at the world around us and see the shit hitting the fan. It’s become a bit obvious that the systems in place are not necessarily prepared to deal with any strain. So while we’re not going over to the crazy, extreme, fringe of the world is coming to an end conspiracy lunacy of some preppers. We think it might not be a bad idea to “be prepared”. Leading us to the first of a series of posts, this one about customizing your first aid kit with the Blackhawk Emergency Medic Roll.
Here at the Wharf we advertise a few first aid kits for around the house and hiking, and they are great for what they are designed for. However when it comes to overall preparedness, the best first aid kits are made. Thus the Blackhawk Emergency Medic Roll, large enough, but not to large for your bug out bag or car. We also got together, did some research, had a scotch, and put together a list of items you’re most likely to want/need. Building a proper kit is not cheap, take your time, do it right.
This list is for those who want to prepare for injuries that require more than a band-aid. Be prepared for a situation where professional care is unavailable; natural disaster, backpacking, car accident, or just a crisis that overloads the existing system. It’s also a portable kit for the bag or car.
Meant only as a guide, of course customize it to your specific needs and thoughts. We’ve included in some places short descriptions to explain uses of what may be unfamiliar items or explain away what some might consider redundancies.
first aid kit list:
- Pressure dressing
- Z-fold gauze, standard 4.5” x 4 yards- recommend Celox brand, fabric dressing available coated with a hemostatic agent. When placed directly into a bleeding wound and subjected to pressure Celox™ absorbs blood and forms an adhesive gel that seals the wound to stop the flow of blood.
- Coban roll,adhesive, standard 2” x 5 yards
- Acetaminophen / Tylenol- pain reliever and fever reducer
- Ibuprofen / Advil- non-steroid, anti-inflammatory. Relieves pain and reduces fever.
- Diphenhydramine / Benadryl-to relieve symptoms of allergy, hay fever, and the common cold, blocking a certain natural substance (histamine) that your body makes during an allergic reaction.
- Loperamide / Imodium- used to treat sudden diarrhea (including traveler’s diarrhea)
- Band-aids (10x, various sizes)
- Chest seals (1 pair)
- White petroleum jelly / Vaseline in small container
- Silk medical tape roll, 1” wide
- Needle & thread (2x needle/thread, 1x small container)
- Rolled gauze, standard 4.5” x 4 yards
- Gauze pads, 4” x 4” (6x)
- Plastic cling wrap, 2” wide roll
- Cravat / triangular bandage, 45” x 45” x 63”- Used as an arm sling or as a pad to control bleeding. Also used to support or immobilise an injury to a bone or joint.
- Butterfly bandages, 0.5″ x 2.75″ (16x)
- Safety pins (3x, various sizes)
- Elastic wrap / ACE bandage, standard 4” x 5 yards
- Aluminum splint, 36”
- Emergency blanket (2x)
- Gloves (2 pairs)- disposable blue nitrile is our choice.
- Reference guide
- Abdominal pad (sometimes “ab pad”), 5” x 9” (2x)
- Aspirin / Bayer
- Pepto-Bismol pills
- Caffeine pills- central nervous system stimulant that often helps improve mental alertness and wakefulness.
- Hydrocortisone cream
- Miconazole an anti-fungal used to treat skin infections such as athlete’s foot, jock itch, ringworm, and other fungal skin infections (candidiasis).
- Doxycycline and/or Bactrim antibiotics- antibiotics used to treat different types of bacterial infections
Featuring 15 various-sized, clear, quick-view pouches, this BLACKHAWK emergency Medic roll is a great way to organize and carry all your medical supplies. Rolls up into a compact rig and is secured by hook/loop and Side-Release buckles. BLACKHAWK has a history in making the highest quality Tactical and outdoor gear in the world. Trusted by military, outdoorsman, and recreational users throughout the world, when you need something to work, BLACKHAWK never lets you down.
- Constructed of 1000 denier Nylon
- Full wraparound carry handles
- Pleated vinyl pockets on inside to store Medical supplies
- Hook and loop and side-release buckles
- Built to withstand the toughest Terrain and environments
- Constructed of 1000 denier nylon
- Full wraparound carry handles
- Pleated vinyl pockets on inside to store medical supplies
- Hook & loop and side-release buckles.